I Dreamt Yesterday [Short Story]


I hate dreaming. When your dreams will take you to the most unexpected and unlinked places, you actually feel the shit. I am not talking about the nightmares, for me, it’s getting terrified by a skeleton or being trapped in a tank full of venom

serpents but there are some people who are afraid to get trapped in their school too or a sudden feeling that it’s Monday or maybe you are in the middle of the exam, knowing nothing. Well for the last three days, I am set to my school, either I am on the way or in the stupid lab. I tried to tell my subconscious mind that my schooldays have been over proximately two years back but maybe it still wants me there and for me, I search for someone else. My mind mixed both and came up with something which left me wonderstruck.

I realized that I was in a classroom; don’t know where or which school it was but I remember there were a few known faces in the class. They were all sitting in their places, some were busy talking to one another and when I looked at them, they replied with a pleasant smile. Honestly, I didn’t like to be there. I found that I was sitting on the second bench of my class and not alone. She was there beside me. Goddamn! How?

Yes, we broke up, we don’t talk much nor we miss each other anymore but at that moment I felt the same love as it once was. She looked angelic, so pretty, her face so cute, that same eyeliner on those deep mesmerizing eyes, her lips little dry and that black thread bracelet on her right hand, gently resting on the desk.  Her innocent face emanated that she was quite bored and exhausted.

‘I’m feeling hungry…yaar!’ She spoke suddenly looking at me with her childish face.

Her voice was the same. I felt my risen heartbeat and couldn’t able to respond, kept staring at her.

‘I want to go home.’ She said without waiting for my response, this time with a little more tiredness.

I still couldn’t able to speak out anything maybe because I couldn’t believe that ever it was happening with me.

She looked weary and gently put her head on my right shoulder and closed her eyes. It was an exotic moment for me. I wish I could love you a little more. 

‘Then love me na, babe!’ She said as I felt that she read my mind.

I wrapped my hands around her and put my head against her. I breathed heavily.

She looked up to me, still buried under my arms. ‘Babe, why so sad? Are you exhausted as I am?’

‘No’ I said finally in a low voice.

‘Then what happened babe? She said innocently.

‘Nothing my Sunflower.’ I said sadly.

‘Aaye.. Am I your sunflower babe? Then look na, your sunflower is wilting because of this stupid class.’

‘My sunflower has the same fragrance even if she is wilted.’ I said giving her a dummy smile, trying to please her.

She giggled and I felt that laugh.

I felt that my eyes were filled with tears and rolled over my cheeks and dropped on her vanilla face.

She suddenly got out of my arms and gave me a baby sad look and said, ‘why crying. Aren’t you happy with me?’

‘Love! we are in a dream, please stop this. I can’t bear it.’ I said being little tensed.

‘Babe! our love needs no barriers.’ She said and gently kissed me on my cheeks.

‘What are you doing love? We’re in a class. Everyone is looking!’

‘Babe, you just told me that you are dreaming. It means everyone in this class is not real but just your imagination. So don’t worry.’ She said smiling and wrapped herself with me again.

‘Maybe because this is the reason why I am crying! Everything is in my subconscious mind.’ I thought.

‘This  dream is going to end soon love and I am scared.’ I said.

‘Our love needs no dream to hold on; it’s always there even when I am gone.’ She said and winked.

I woke up with a start, truly heartbroken morning and it gave me a thought that I don’t belong here. I don’t want to live like this, something was missing. I got out of my bed and saw my laptop on. I cheerfully went on it and put the title, ‘I dreamt yesterday.’

Yes, I belonged to my stories.
-Vaibhav Arya

2 Comments

  1. Just hit me badly! Loved it yaar! Waiting for the next one! All the love, luck and wishes ❤💫

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bhai.. I Was Literally Feeling That Emotion after each and every words.. Keep Growing Bhaii.. You Are Going Great..❤😉

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post